Dates for the Diary
|Thursday 19th March||Members Night "Local Tastes Evening|
|Friday 20th March||Junior Crews - Friday Twilight Pursuit Race|
|Sunday 5th April||Keelboat Skippers & Crews Meeting|
What a crazy time we are living through currently. Thankfully, sailing out in the open air is similar to the social distancing being preferred by government, as a way of minimising the spread of COVID-19. Whilst our crazy weather has coincided with Friday night racing, Sunday saw a reprieve in conditions and we were treated to champagne sailing and what a turnout we had. 20 juniors on the Sunday morning followed up by 14 Keelboats and 30 OTB in the afternoon capped off a very busy day around the club.
As mentioned by our Commodore Peter Bulka on Friday, your Committee is monitoring any response or recommended course of action coming from Australian Sailing. Currently it remains that all sailing activities are continuing, however we urge members to maintain good personal hygiene standards and we urge members that are displaying symptoms of COVID-19 as prescribed by the WHO to refrain from coming to the club and self-isolating.
It was great to turn up to the club on Sunday and see the progress thus far on our bar renovation. Things are progressing well, with the sliding windows in to the North East Corner and a fresh lick of paint to the ceiling and walls really lifting the interior, making the most of that view!
This Thursday (provided the gathering is less than 500!) is a special members night (see information flyer below). During this period, it’ll be really important to keep supporting our caterer whilst it’s still possible. We also have Junior Keelboat night on Friday evening, weather dependant of course! Thanks in advance to all members who have provided space on their boats for juniors and their families this Friday, hopefully we get great weather and a big gathering back at the club afterwards, provided it’s less than 500.
I have been in touch with the contractors (Duratec) regarding the state of our yard and the additional time it has taken to do the necessary rectification works on the tunnel from our side. It appears that the piling holes were collapsing and needed better geotechnical engineering solutions. They have been waiting to hear from VicRoads regarding this solution and hopefully will recommence works this week into next and be finished within the fortnight.
Our roof is beginning to leak, which was unearthed by the painters and was found wanting after some substantial rainfall over the past month. The Shire have been out to inspect and hopefully will come up with a solution soon. We are hoping that the leaks don’t play havoc with our renovations and delay the project.
With the outbreak of COVID-19, the schools team racing state championships have been postponed, which is a great shame to many of our young sailors that were looking forward to racing in this great event at the RYCV this coming weekend. Selfishly, I’m happy as I can now sail on Friday night and again on Sunday.
Don’t forget to register for the SBSC Footy Tipping Competition. This is for all members and only costs $20.00. I’ll hunt you down for the money but please register regardless of the outcome of the AFL season continuing or not. We’ll have some novel prizes for each round and for the member that manages to correctly tip 9 games with the lowest margin. Link can be found in the e-news.
On behalf of the Executive Committee.
Football Tipping Competition
Weather you love or hate the game of football there is plenty of fun to be had by joining the SBSC Football Tipping Competition. To enter costs only $20 and to register is easy just CLICK HERE